Hi! I’m Danielle and I’m a writer.
I took my childhood love of words and tried my hardest to translate it into a career in journalism. After six long years working as a small town reporter, I finally achieved a dream job where I spend my days surrounded by adorable dogs and their human companions who are striving to make a difference in the world. Is it the dream I’ve always had? Nope … it’s a dream I didn’t know I had.
This blog was born inside my head sometime in the fall of 2015, but I didn’t feel authoritative enough to actually write it until about a year later. Today, I can say with some clarity and perspective that I understand the struggle today’s aspiring writers face; I faced it myself, over and over again. And I’m here to write about all the ways these struggles prepare you for the day when you’re walking your office halls, thinking, “I can’t believe I get to work here.” I’m not deluded into believing that it happens for everyone. I surely didn’t think it would happen for me. But in most cases, if you fight tooth and nail for what you what, you’ll achieve some semblance of a “dream job.”
At The Jaded Journo, you’ll find the following categories:
- Adulting 101: I don’t believe in life plans or unrealistic expectations for hitting certain milestones by certain ages; I’ll tell you why.
- Career Advice: Tips from me to you on everything from resumé layout to cyber-stalking the competition.
- Guest Columns: I’ve made many friends in this industry, all with their own unique stories to tell. I’ll occasionally showcase their stuff here.
- Hashing Headlines: Commentary on national stories and the media landscape as a whole.
- News Nerd: Where I geek out about the latest journalism movie, exhibit, or cool new gadget.
- On the Job: Insight into past and present employment experiences.
- Through the Lens: Sharing my own snaps or striking shots from photojournalists around the world.
- Writing Tips: I’m no expert—but I have been doing this for 20 years. 😉
- And possibly more TK!
Want to discuss something you’ve read by The Jaded Journo? Ask for advice? Share some tricks of the trade? Find me on social media or shoot me an email. You can also view my online portfolio for writing samples, testimonials, and fun facts.
Hope you all enjoy!